Spotlight On: MAC Smut

Finish: Velvet / Muted black with red shimmer

Smut is a beautiful dark gray shade that creates an effortless smokey eye, but I personally find it more difficult to work with than other dark shades. This is often described as being Satin Taupe’s smokey sister and Carbon’s lighter, easier-to-work-with cousin. When I did the swatch for this, I did see the red sheen in MAC’s description, but I had to really look for it and rotate my hand around to see it. This dark matte gray shade can be paired with anything imaginable in MAC’s collection; I’m not particularly fond of it, but I don’t really prefer Velvet finishes either.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. Joanna says:

i really like look 1 and 3!!! :)

2. Joanna says:

oh, and i agree with you on the velvet finishes. i find them almost harder to work with than some mattes (ahem, carbon) and satins. although contrast is a velvet and i love it and i’m lusting after texture, also a velvet i think LOL

LOL! (Grrr to Carbon!)
      Texture is one of the few Velvets I just LOVE! Maybe I got a dud with Smut. :(

• Joanna says:

i don’t always find it super easy to work with. then again, i don’t use it often at all as i never know what to pair it with. i almost always use a fluffy brush to apply and blanc type is my HG blender. maybe that’ll do the trick?

Texture? This post might help:

On the lid with Blanc Type as a blender is a superb look! I generally find that applying a color I find hard to work with on the lid somehow makes it easier to work with because I can blend it out with something else. :)

• Joanna says:

ever since i saw your post i put texture on my list :) i just haven’t gotten it yet because i prioritize my purchases haha! last week i ordered plumage, seedy pearl, folie, and bows and curtseys. on the next big mac spree i’ll be getting texture lol. blanc type seems to make everything easier to work with

• Mariella says:

Joanne, Bows and Curtseys is SO lovely. I got it from Fashion Flower (the one in the palette from Tartan Tales is AWFUL) and it’s so blendable and gorgeous. It’s a unique colour and makes a fabulous smokey eye and it’s great in the crease with a neutral on the lid and it is also stunning used just to smudge or line under the lower lashes. It’s one that seems to have been ignored (hardly any reviews on Makeup Alley) and it’s a hidden treasure if you ask me!

3. Sharon says:

I especially like look #4. I was wondering how you get Naked Lunch to show up that well on your lid? Look # 3 is also very pretty.

4. LRW says:

From now on, I’m just going to *copy&paste* all my comments..I mean how many ways can I say you are amazing?!

5. Nicola says:

Hi Zabrena – Could you use Typographic in look 2 instead of smut or would it be too dark? I love this look with smut but i have typographic to go with texture and i just wondered if it would go with cranberry. I love so many of your combos!

6. Mariella says:

#1, 3, 4 and 5 are my total favourites but all these looks are spectacular – you are so creative and skilled. I’ve put off buying Smut because of Mac’s description of the red undertones (something I try to avoid) but now I’m leery because you say it’s not the easiest to work with. Maybe I’ll just pass on this and buy another Pro Longwear shadow! Have you tried any of those, Zabrena? I just LOVE them – the colours, the application and, to my amazement, I really was able to wear them without primer underneath and they didn’t crease (though I still prefer to use primer for my own peace of mind!).

Thanks, Mariella! Yes, I definitely don’t favor Smut by any means – horrible formula! LOVE the Pro longewear eyeshadows! They’re so creamy and smooth – I would definitely go for one of those over Smut. I’m the same as you – the primer somehow gives me confidence. LOL Since I started using it a while back (and have worn eyeshadows for 14+ hours without creasing – unbelievable for my oily lids!) I just can’t bring myself not to use it!

7. Heather Cooke says:

Look #1 is my favorite, Shale and Copperplate go together beautifully. I like Cranberry and Smut together in Look #2, the red in Cranberry brings out the red undertones in Smut. And Look #3 is beautiful with the silver and purple.

8. Karena Toy says:

Thought I’d give Smut a boost, here. I am silently laughing – most of the comments posted here seem to be negative about Smut… but, honestly, Smut is one of my all-time favourites! (I’ve used Smut for years and years!!) I apply Brule evenly and generously all over the lid and then use a fluffy brush to apply Smut in the crease and outer third, and line the lower lash. BEAUTIFUL!! Simple, sophisticated and gorgeous! Goes beautifully with ash-blonde hair and dark blue eyes.

9. Monalisa Ahmed says:

Just became a member today I love look #1 going to try it ASAP :)

10. beautywithin says:

I completely forgot I had Smut, looking forward to try look 8!

11. Pearl says:

I like how honest you are and even though you don’t particularly care for a color (for whatever reason), you will still update the looks for it for all of us out here. Makes me glad I am a member. :)

12. Robyn says:

Hi Zabrena! I don’t have Smut but I have some of the other eye shadows in Looks 1, 4, and 7. Any suggestions as to what I could use instead? And could I use Jest or Naked Lunch or even All That Glitters instead of Phloof on look sine I don’t have that one? Love those looks! Thanks for all your hard work! :)

• Robyn says:

Look 4 not sine lol

Hi Robyn! You could use any really dark gray, almost black shade in its place! Ones like Typographic, Print or possibly even Knight Divine if you want to go more gray. And yes, Jest would be the closest to Phloof! in terms of color, because it has that same pinky base. Enjoy!! :)

• Robyn says:

Hi Z! I ended up buying Smut and Phloof and a few purple shades to add to my collection. I had two gift cards from Christmas. I was like a kid in a candy store. Now all I need is the MAC 286 brush. The store didn’t have one when I went to buy it. Also, I’ve heard Brown Script has been discontinued. Any suggestions as to what I could use instead? Thanks! :)