Spring 2014 Trend Alert: Orange Lipstick!
One of the newest Spring trends in 2014 is ORANGE lipstick … yep! ORANGE! This bodacious color can help brighten your look and warm up any of your neutral looks effortlessly. In today’s post, I wanted to share a neutral way you can wear this bold trend, and even pair it up with orange eyeshadow, if you choose.
The key to wearing any bold color on your lips is to either go really light with the eyes, or really dark. If you’re fair-skinned, it’s generally easier to keep the look light, airy and natural-looking, but if you have a darker complexion you can get away with something like a gray smokey eye. Another way to wear a bold lip is to skip the eyeshadow colors completely, dust on a light shimmery shade and emphasize the liquid or gel eyeliner. Do a pronounced wing with bold lips for a timeless look.
You can also skip the wing entirely and apply a small amount of eyeliner on the outer half of the top lashline, smudge it in and then load up on the mascara. Little to no makeup on the eyes leaves a fresh-faced appeal but still allows the lips to POP (and they will!).
If you want to pair up orange lipstick with orange eyeshadow, it’s important to pay special attention to the shades you’re choosing. For instance, in today’s look (below), I’ve paired up a darker orange lipstick from Milani with a lighter orange eyeshadow from MAC. The opposite is also true; if you wear a darker orange on the eyes, pair it up with a lighter orange on the lips. This way, you can stay in the color spectrum with the look, but not end up looking clownish.
- Urban Decay Primer Potion as eyeshadow primer
- MAC All That Glitters (on lid, below crease)
- MAC Arena (crease)
- MAC Shroom (center of top lid, blended into All That Glitters)
- MAC Blanc Type (blend out harsh edges of Arena)
- Stila Stay All Day Liquid Liner in Black
- MAX Factor 2000 Calorie Waterproof Mascara in Black
- Laura Mercier Brow Defining Gel in ‘Fair’
- False eyelashes: “10 PM” synthetic lashes from InkyMinkyLashes.com
- Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer in ‘Light’
- Revlon Age Defying Liquid Foundation in ‘Fresh Ivory #05’
- Laura Mercier Translucent Powder
- MAC Azalea in the Afternoon Mineralize Blush
- Milani lipstick in ‘#05 Sweet Nectar’